LG Business Solutions
Success Story: IGEL and LG Team to Improve the Digital Experience for Kaleida Health
- Kaleida Health is the largest healthcare provider in Western New York, serving the area’s eight counties with state-of-the-art technology and comprehensive healthcare services. Its expert, compassionate healthcare professionals are committed to providing the best possible outcomes and experience for patients and visitors. More than one million patients choose a Kaleida Health facility annually.
- Aging endpoint hardware and an inconsistent user experience
- Windows OS requirements for migrations and updates were taxing internal resources
- Desire to standardize VDI clinical and remote access using Citrix meant new hardware and software was needed
- Combined solution promotes stability and secure, remote access to cloud workspaces through the use of modern endpoint hardware and software
- Digital experience standardized with Citrix VDI and LG AIO Thin Clients
- IGEL OS improves the stability and streamlines Windows patching and management leading to estimated savings of more than $2 million over three years
Kaleida Health was looking to modernize the digital experience for its clinicians and back office support staff. Aging and inconsistent desktop hardware and evolving Windows OS support requirements were taxing the organization’s internal IT resources. Further, the desire to standardize on Citrix VDI for both on-site and remote workers meant the healthcare organization needed to identify a new software and hardware solution that would support simple and secure access to cloud workspaces.
IGEL and LG Enable Kaleida to Standardize the Employee Digital Experience
Kaleida Health began the process by evaluating all of the major thin client OS vendors. “We determined IGEL to be the leader for multiple reasons. IGEL is hardware agnostic, stable and has a small footprint based on Linux OS. Next, IGEL offers a great management platform, the IGEL UMS, for both on-site users and remote access,” said Kevin Conable, Director, IT Infrastructure, Kaleida Health.
“We selected LG thin client monitors early on because the All-in-One form factor supports both back office teams and more importantly, clinical areas including WoW carts,” he added. “We also liked the idea that LG thin clients let our medical professionals securely log in and access information and resources from one, protected data center.”
The healthcare organization’s experience with IGEL and LG has been very good, according to Conable. “Overall, the endpoints have been very stable and provide a tremendous opportunity to standardize our employees’ digital experience with the multiple vendors and the Windows OS issues we face today,” he continued.
The healthcare organization also reports that by using the automated management capabilities of
IGEL OS, time spent patching and updating Windows OS has been reduced. This has improved efficiency, productivity and security, and freed up internal resources to focus on more strategic projects and initiatives.
Dramatic Cost-Savings Solidifies IGEL and LG’s Position on Kaleida’s Strategic Plan
The deployment of IGEL and LG began with clinical users, and the plan is to extend it to the entire organization. Currently, Kaleida has approximately 300 LG endpoints powered by IGEL OS in its hospitals and clinics, with about 50 of those endpoints being used remotely to access cloud workspaces. Kaleida plans to acquire an additional 1,500 IGEL OS licenses and LG endpoints.
“IGEL OS and LG All-in-One thin clients have been selected as our endpoint technologies of choice as part our five-year strategic plan,” said Conable. “IGEL OS has improved the stability of our endpoints, enabled secure access to cloud workspaces for our clinicians and staff members, and streamlined Windows patching and management, which we estimate will lead to $2 million in savings for our organization over the next three years.”
LG AIOs have been verified for IGEL OS through the IGEL Ready program. IGEL Ready is an ecosystem of cutting-edge hardware, software and peripheral solutions that have been verified for use with IGEL OS to deliver a powerful, productive, and secure user experience. You can view the LG partner profile in the IGEL Ready Showcase.
“IGEL OS has dramatically changed the way in which organizations like Kaleida Health approach end user computing,” said Stephen K. Hu, Senior Director at LG Business Solutions USA. “We are proud to team with IGEL to help Kaleida improve their digital experience, and it’s gratifying to see how the healthcare organization is driving productivity and efficiency with our combined solution.”
LG’s AIO thin client solution (model 24CK550N), a 23.8-inch model with full HD resolution, IPS panels and a dual-core processor, is an ideal workstation for demanding healthcare environments. This thin client model offers the healthcare professionals at Kaleida exceptional performance and cloud-ready connectivity for virtually any environment they’re working in.